Help is Here: The American Rescue Plan is Expanding the Child Tax Credit for Minnesota Families
Earlier this year, I voted to pass the American Rescue Plan to address the unprecedented COVID-19 health and economic crisis facing our nation. This legislation included a historic expansion and improvement to the Child Tax Credit that will benefit thousands of families in our community as we recover from the pandemic and build back a better, more fair economy. In addition to the existing Child Tax Credit, families with children will receive additional payments throughout the year to help with the costs of food, child care, diapers, health care and clothing.
The major expansion of the Child Tax Credit that I voted for in the American Rescue Plan provides the largest child tax credit ever and historic relief to Minnesota families.
- $3,000 per child 6-17 years old
- $3,600 per child under 6 years old
- All working families will get the full credit if they make up to $150,000 for a couple or $112,500 for a family with a single parent
Take a look at how this will benefit families here in Minnesota’s Second District:
- 75.2% of children in our district will gain from an expanded and improved Child Tax Credit. This adds up to 133,600 children in MN-02.
- The average benefit for 44,000 households in our community is $2,600.
- The improved Child Tax Credit will lift 4,200 children in our district out of poverty.
- Families with children in poverty will receive $5,000 on average.
Payments will begin going out on Thursday, July 15th. If you don’t receive the benefits you’re eligible for, please don’t hesitate to reach out to my Burnsville office here or by calling (651) 846- 2120.