Housing & Utility Assistance

Minnesota currently has a suspension on evictions and foreclosures during the COVID-19 peacetime emergency. For more information and details on this visit Governor Walz’s Executive Order.

Additionally, the Biden Administration recently extended the foreclosure moratorium for homeowners through June 30, 2021, and extended the mortgage payment forbearance enrollment window until June 30, 2021 for borrowers who wish to request forbearance. As a part of the executive order, there will also be six months of additional mortgage payment forbearance, in three-month increments, for borrowers who entered forbearance on or before June 30, 2020. Read more about these changes here


Minnesota Housing Resources


Minnesota Housing Finance Agency

For housing questions, you can call the Minnesota Housing Finance Authority.  For single-family residences, call 651-296-8215. For multi-family residences, call 651-297-4455.

Eviction and Housing Discrimination Protections

Evictions are currently suspended in Minnesota due to an emergency declaration during the COVID-19 pandemic. MN Housing has published a resource guide detailing rights for tenants and homeowners during this time. 

Minnesota Tenant Eviction Complaint Form

If you receive an eviction notice during the peacetime emergency, you may file a complaint through the Attorney General Online Tenant Eviction Complaint Form.


Federal Housing Resources


Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has compiled resources and information related to housing concerns for specific groups during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

HUD Local Housing Counseling Agencies

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has housing counseling agencies that provide advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures and credit issues. If you are facing foreclosure, you may search for a foreclosure avoidance counselor for specific resources here.

Coming soon: COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance

Congress has acted to provide direct rental assistance to help individuals and families pay their rent, as well as assistance to landlords and property owners to pay their bills. Minnesota Housing will share updates as made available. To receive updates, sign up for our COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance eNews list.


County Housing Resources


Dakota County Community Development Agency

Dakota County residents who have missed a mortgage payment or are nearing foreclosure may be able to receive help through Dakota County’s Mortgage Foreclosure Program. This Mortgage Foreclosure Program is a free advisory program for homeowners that are having difficulties making their mortgage payment. You can learn more about the program here, or, you can contact a trained Homeownership Specialist at 651-675-4473.

Dakota County Resources and Referrals

Dakota County has also published a list of resources and contact information for people facing an emergency housing crisis. You can view this list of resources here, or you can reach the Housing Crisis Line at 651-554-5751. 

Goodhue County

While Goodhue County does not have its own resource page for housing assistance, residents of Goodhue County are able to access resources through the Southeastern Minnesota Multi-County HRA or the Red Wing HRA.

Rice County

Rice County’s rental assistance program is now closed, but the county’s Housing and Redevelopment Authority is still offering resources for residents. 

Scott County Housing and Homelessness Assistance

If you are unable to maintain your current housing and are facing homelessness, you may qualify for assistance from Scott County’s assistance programs. 

Southeastern Minnesota Multi-County Housing and Redevelopment Authority

The Southeastern Minnesota Multi-County HRA (SMMCHRA) provides affordable, decent, safe and sanitary housing to citizens residing in our service area. This is accomplished through rental assistance, family self-sufficiency programs, rental and single-family property rehabilitation, first time homebuyer loans and down payment assistance. Wabasha, Goodhue, Winona, and Dodge Counties are a part of the SMMCHRA. 

Wabasha County

When low-income households are in a financial crisis and are at risk of losing their housing or are facing utility disconnection, already have their utilities disconnected, or need help with other heating sources, Wabasha County Social Services may be able to help by providing short-term assistance to resolve the immediate emergency. 

Washington County

Washington County has compiled resources for residents regarding services for those experiencing homelessness, housing resources, and community involvement.

If you are in need of a safe place to stay because you are fleeing an unsafe environment at home, contact the MN Day One Crisis Hotline at 1 (866) 223-1111 to speak with an advocate who can guide you to a service provider and safe place.


Utility Assistance


Minnesota’s Public Utilities Commission (PUC)

The PUC regulates three cornerstone service industries in Minnesota's economy: electricity, natural gas and telephone. They have resources to help navigate the impacts of COVID-19:

  • The PUC has options for financial assistance and mediation services for disputes with utility companies. If you are having trouble with your natural gas, electric or telecommunications provider please email consumer.puc@state.mn.us.
  • The Commission has also required rate regulated electric and natural gas utilities to suspend disconnections, negative credit reporting, and waive penalties and fees for reconnections, interest, and late payments. Click herefor more information.