Relief For Hard Working Minnesotans


Unemployment Insurance, Recovery Rebates for Individuals and Community Resources

Unemployment Insurance

The CARES Act makes sure the Unemployment Insurance benefits match the average paycheck of laid-off or furloughed workers. Additionally, workers will receive 13 additional weeks of federally-funded benefits to be made immediately.

To Apply, visit Minnesota’s Department of Employment and Economic Development’s website here for more information and the application.

Recovery Rebates for Individuals

Individuals with a gross income under $75,000 ($112,500 for head of household and $150,000 married) who are not the dependent of another taxpayer and have a work-eligible SSN, are eligible for the full $1,200 ($2,400 married) rebate. Additionally, folks are eligible for an additional $500 per child for dependents 16 years old and younger. Rep. Craig is working to have this extended to 17 and 18-year-old  student dependents to age 24 and disabled dependents but this is currently not the case in the Senate bill. A typical family of four is eligible for a $3,400 recovery rebate.

How will and when the rebate arrive? The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will work to deliver rebates quickly in the form of advance payments. For people who filed a federal income tax return in 2018 or 2019, payment processing will be based on payment or address information already on file with the IRS. More information can be found here.

I do not have health insurance and am worried I may need it now - can I apply? 

Yes, you can! MNSure has opened a special enrollment period until April 23. For more information and to apply, visit the MNSure website:

What do I do if I can’t afford my house payment?

On March 23, Governor Tim Walz signed an Executive Order suspending evictions and foreclosures during the COVID-19 peacetime emergency. For more information and details on this, see Governor Walz’s Executive Order.

Statewide Resources
For housing questions, you can call the Minnesota Housing Finance Authority. For single-family residences: 651-296-8215, for multi-family residences: 651-297-4455.

HOME Line MN is a nonprofit organization that provides free and low-cost legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services for tenants. Call at 612-728-5767 or toll-free from Greater Minnesota 866-866-3546 or visit their website.

HousingLink is a social services organization in Minnesota focused on affordable housing. Their website has advisement and resources for people who cannot pay their rent due to the impacts of COVID-19:

County Resources
Each county in the district has resources for housing and some are COVID-19 specific:

Catholic Charities
Along with housing, Catholic Charities offers various other resources: Catholic Charities.

Lutheran Social Services
LSS offers assistance with housing and can help you make housing decisions. Learn more here.

What do I do if I can’t afford and/ or go to the store to get groceries or supplies?


Free take-home meals will be available for Minnesota students this summer through the USDA Summer Food Service Program. You can find distribution sites on the Free Meals for Kids app, by calling 1-888-711-1151 or visiting

Food pantries
There are 24 food pantries in the second congressional district. Visit here to find one in an area near you.

Local United Way Chapters
There are various United Ways with food service and other programs/resources in the district. Please see below:

Second Harvest Heartland
This organization has resources and information on SNAP for families. Find out more on their website. You can also call the helpline 844-764-5513 or 651-209-7963.

Lutheran Social Services
LSS offers various resources and programs including financial assistance to purchase needs such as groceries. Search for resources near you here.

Jewish Family Service of St. Paul
JFSS has programs in place to assist with financial hardship due to COVID-19. Visit their website here.

South Metro Islamic Center
This center located in Rosemount has a food shelf with open pick-ups and no income requirement. Learn more here.

Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels is a national organization that addresses senior isolation and hunger. To find a program near you, enter your address here and learn more.

What do I do if I can’t afford my utilities?

CAP Agency’s Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps eligible households maintain affordable, continuous and safe home energy. Services include bill payment assistance, home energy crisis intervention, outreach, energy advocacy, information about utility consumer rights, and referrals. Go to their website to get started.

Additional Resources

United States Department of Labor

In the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, guidance on unemployment insurance programs for states was provided. That guidance and more information can be found at the USDL website.

Springboard for the Arts

If you are an artist or independent worker, the Springboard for the Arts has a Personal Emergency Relief Fund. You can apply to for assistance at their website.